Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

PLN Efforts

I was really set on using Learnist as a tool for my teaching and education. I had been using it a lot to find research various resources on math and classroom inquiry. However, the more I used the website the more I was not liking it. Often I would not find anything that was useful or the resources were too vague. I feel like the website still has a lot of growing in order to reach specific needs. Tweeting is something that I find easier to do and a little more my type of networking. This is probably because it is set up like Facebook as far as getting information out into cyberspace. It is also easier to navigate and follow people. One effort I can make to improve my PLN would be to enhance my blogging efforts. Some support to do this that is effective would be encouragement, or even brief reminders via email/blackboard. Often I get so caught up with my teaching responsibilities that if something is not required it moves lower on my priority list. Sometimes there is a lack of desire to blog, so when asked to simply begin writing can feel like a challenge. I know that writing prompts or topics are easier to start a basis for writing. To get better at blogging I will start writing it as a “to-do” on my weekly agenda, make it a priority and try to start with a general idea or topic to begin writing.

1 comment:

  1. Jasmine, I feel just the opposite in terms of Twitter and Learnist as networking tools! I like Learnist in that I can save and share things from other sites and use it as sort of a bookmarking tool. As I build my boards, the site then gives me recommendations which I find useful. Twitter is still something that I am trying to figure out -- I feel like there is so much information and while I understand 'hashtags' its hard for me to find specific resources efficiently. I find myself wading through a lot of tweets! I totally relate to your feeling about blogging. It's hard to know what to share/say so I've been pretty much looking back at my week and thinking, "Ok, what was the most significant event of my teaching week?"

    ReplyDelete