Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

I'm a Resident of the Web


Currently, I’m a resident.  When I log onto the Internet I’m visible, social and networking. I used to view the Internet as an endless opportunity to explore and establish myself, with no consequences. However, as the Internet has become more prominent and widely used I have been changing my views on my residency within the web.

I was fortunate to have had the opportunity to explore different networking sites, specifically those that require a “resident” type presence, when they first opened (twitter, Facebook, foursquare, etc.). I know how to use the networks effectively and efficiently; I have had many jobs where my sole responsibility was to manage and maintain a web presence. Along with managing sites for companies and non-profits I too was creating my own personal presence on them as a way to further explore their potential. However, I have found given my career choice that my residency needs to be altered. I need to start finding a happy medium between being a resident and a visitor, lower my presence. In terms of the relevant video, I want to move out of my residency and instead start using the Internet as a tool when I come to visit.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I had no idea you had so much technological experience!! Thank you for opening yourself up to us about how you use technology. I think it is completely natural for us as teachers to make sure that we find that balance between resident and visitor because while we want to make sure that we are opening ourselves up for collaboration, we do need to also think about not becoming obsessed with technology in the educational realm (I find it to be a problem too :)).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jasmin,
    I am so fascinated in knowing that you have had this technological background! I feel like we are all consider ourselves natives in this technological era but more in terms of social networking and communication. I have never had an occupation where it was necessary for me to maintain a web presence but I know that the educational community is shifting into the technical realm. In moving towards incorporating technology into the classroom we will all soon have that technological responsibility to maintain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really great to hear that you have experience with keeping a web presence. I am still trying to get use to this idea of having a Twiiter, blog accounts, Edmodo, Facebook, etc. To be honest it is getting a little overwhelming but Im assuming this just takes time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just anointed yourself the IT gal of the cohort... How do I link my blog to the blog roll? Link to my twitter? Why do they call it hashtag instead of number sign? Hashtag is starting to sound annoying

    ReplyDelete