Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Project Based Learning

Project Based Learning (PBL) was an extremely memorable and beneficial lesson for me this semester. Prior to entering the University of San Diego I was not aware of PBL. I figured that the traditional way of assessing students’ knowledge was to hand them a paper test and pencil. I never considered giving students autonomy in expressing their understanding of a new concept. The idea of PBL really attracts me because of my experience as a student. During high school I developed really bad anxiety. My anxiety would be triggered whenever I had to speak aloud or take a test. As a result, I would perform poorly. If I had the opportunity to express my knowledge in different ways, I would have been a more successful student. PBL is perfect for students, like myself, and others who have a hard to expressing their understanding through traditional testing. Another reason I like the idea of implementing PBL in my classroom is because of its ability to give teachers a choice in how students will access information and how students will present this information. In general, PBL allows teachers to become more creative and think outside the box. Teachers can choose to have their students take part in hands-on, real life learning and challenges them to present their knowledge in nontraditional ways. For example, students can create a poster, presentation or movie to describe the water cycle, rather than labeling the water cycle on a piece of paper. Another way it allows for teacher creativity is by creating an opportunity for teacher collaboration. Teachers can implement PBL within the same grade level classrooms or throughout the entire school. One video we watched in class showed a group of teachers who created themed unit that required assessments to be done via PBL. It was inspiring and got me excited about collaborating with my colleagues to create the best lessons and assessments for our students. PBL can be integrated into any subject area, making it a flexible practice. I can choose to implement PBL in math, science, geography, etc. It is really up to me as to where I want to integrate it. Many theories and research can be linked to the use of PBL. PBL is essentially “learning by doing”, which reflects constructivism. Students will construct knowledge by interacting with the “project”. PBL also is a type of learning that encourages cooperative learning, a best practice from Marzano. PBL can have global connections, depending on how a teacher uses it. PBL does teach students 21st century skills in that they are presenting knowledge in a more contextual and conceptual way. By grasping 21st century skills, students are better prepared for the globally integrated world they will be entering into. Edutopia is a great website to get information on PBL and its benefits, as well as activities, ideas and help for teachers who are committed to implementing PBL.

1 comment:

  1. PBL can be beneficial for many students. The key is how the teacher assess's student knowledge via PBL. I have still seen that create anxiety for students and make them feel like it is more of a test than a project. But is that because the students still have difficulty understanding the true nature of PBL?

    ReplyDelete